Google has released new specifications
for e-commerce sites that have their products listed on Google Product Search. The updates are being implemented to make it easier for shoppers to find the information they’re looking for and to send more shoppers to Google merchants.
The following conditions are now mandatory:
• Availability: The availability status of all items must be stated
• Google Product Category: Product categories will have to be defined for “Apparel & Accessories”, “Media”, and “Software”
• Images: A product image must be submitted
• Apparel: Variants such as “Age Group”, "Gender”, "Color”, and “Size”, must be listed in the product feed
• Pricing: Data from the feed has to accurately match the actual product on the site and the price has to match the price most prominently displayed on the site.
Google has stated that accounts with feeds targeting the US, UK, Germany, Japan, and France that do not comply with their policies will be subject to having their feeds pulled.
(I’m curious to know if the mullet wig was bought to go with the Cleopatra costume…)